Glasgow Football

Glasgow's Jay Long runs with the football during Friday night's matchup with Taylor County. The Cardinals would go on to win 20-14 as the Scotties' season came to an end.


GLASGOW — The Scotties’ (10-2) season came to an end on Friday night as they fell to Taylor County (10-2) 20-14 in a heartbreaking loss.

A dark shadow was casted over the game as Glasgow’s star quarterback Tanner Abernathy was injured and taken out on a stretcher in the middle of the third quarter. The Scotties tried to rally to get back into the game, but their efforts failed as their season would end in the district championship game.

“At the end of the night, they made more plays than we did,” coach Jeff Garmon said. “I thought we made a valiant effort after losing our quarterback early. John Carter (Myers) stepped in and did a good job as did our defense. I thought both teams played really well. It got down to the last possession, but we came up short.”

The Scotties got off to a scary start as Abernathy was sacked on the first play of the game and was down on the field due to injury. However, he got back in the game just two plays later, but he was not able to salvage the drive. Glasgow was forced to punt.

Taylor County did not fare much better on their first offensive possession as they ran the ball three times for just two yards. The Cardinals punted and the Scotties took over on their own 28-yard line.

After another Glasgow three-and-out, Taylor County mounted its first scoring drive. The Cardinals marched down the field 75 yards as Tre Goodin made an impressive 10-yard touchdown catch with 10 seconds left in the first quarter. The extra point was good and Taylor County would take a 7-0 lead.

The drive was highlighted by several first downs by running back Wes Oliver, but it was Goodin who finished the drive.

Disaster struck on the Scotties next drive. Despite a big kickoff return by Jay Long, Abernathy would end the drive by throwing an interception on a screen pass.

However, the Cardinals would nuke their next drive by somehow committing five penalties in three offensive plays. They would be forced to punt, and Glasgow took over on its own 28-yard line.

The Scotties would take advantage of the Cardinals’ miscues as they marched down the field 72 yards and scored on a one-yard run by Abernathy with 3:45 left in the first half.

The score was made possible by consecutive first-down receptions from Kynarious Flynt and two more penalties from Taylor County.

After the Cardinals quickly went three-and-out, the Scotties tried to score with just two minutes left in the half but could get nothing going on offense. Both teams went into halftime tied at 7-7.

Taylor County started off the second half with a bang as Goodin scored on the opening kickoff for 90 yards. It was an excellent reverse that caught Glasgow off-guard. The extra point was good.

The Scotties responded with a good drive into Cardinal territory, but they were forced to punt after a Flynt dropped a pass. However, John Carter Myers would get a huge interception for Glasgow shortly after Taylor County got the ball back.

Then, disaster would strike for the Scotties. Abernathy was sacked just a few plays later and stayed on the ground in intense pain. He would eventually be taken off the field on a stretcher.

“I hate that for him,” Taylor County Coach Sam Marple said after the game. “He is a heck of a football player, and you hate for any kid to end their season on something like that.”

The Scotties would quickly go four-and-out, and Taylor County immediately took advantage of the deflated Glasgow team. They would score on their first offensive touch thanks to a 60-yard run from Oliver.

After Myers threw an interception to Taylor County, Glasgow finally showed signs of life. The Scotties got a huge punt block after the Cardinals went three-and-out on offense.

Glasgow took advantage of the excellent field position as Myers found Jamari Mack for a 20-yard touchdown with 11:20 left in the game.

“We showed our adversity tonight,” Garmon said. ‘We have done that all season, and I was proud of our boys tonight.”

Both teams would then exchange offensive possessions with no scores. The Cardinals would get the ball back with just five minutes left in the game, and they would attempt a 44-yard field goal to put the game away for good.

But the kick was missed and Glasgow had one final chance to take the lead with two minutes left. However, Myers was picked off just a few plays later and the Cardinals would run the clock out for the win.

“We just came up short tonight,” Garmon said. “We played with a chip on our shoulder all season long and we played all the way to the end. I’m proud of them.”

Recommended for you