Neither Glasgow’s head coach Billy Lindsey, nor Hart County’s head coach Tim Nichols was pleased when they left the field after Friday night’s game between the Scotties and the Raiders won by Glasgow, 34-21.

Lindsey was unhappy with how his team allowed the Raiders back into a game in which they trailed, 20-0. Nichols was upset with the officiating.

“The officials were horrible,” Nichols said. “Put it in the paper, the officials were absolutely horrible. It got physical, but that never should’ve happened. They didn’t get control of the game.

“The difference was the officiating. I’m usually not like that, but that’s what it was tonight.”

Ironically, the two teams were penalized nearly equally. The Scotties were flagged seven times for 79 yards, while the Raiders lost 83 yards on eight penalties.

But, Hart was whistled twice in the second half for late-hit penalties, and Nichols did not agree with that.

“I don’t understand (how) we get called for two 15-yard penalties (on hits) out of bounds and they do the same thing to us and don’t get called for it,” he said.

The first late hit call tacked 15 yards onto a 23-yard run by Glasgow quarterback Lank Graves. The penalty plus the run gave the Scotties first-and-10 at the Raiders’ 12-yard-line.

Zach Miller, who ran the ball 29 times for 138 yards, followed with a 5-yard run and Michael Shannon had a 4-yard run, then Hart was whistled for being offsides on defense. With the ball spotted just outside the one, Miller capped the drive with a 1-yard plunge that gave Glasgow a 20-0 lead with 3:20 left in the third.

The Raiders blocked Drew Kuzma’s extra point attempt.

What followed was what left Lindsey upset with his team. Hart County scored three times in the final 15 minutes and the spark for the rally started with an 80-yard kick return by Michael Paul that set the ball at the Scotties’ 14-yard-line.

On second-and-nine, Glasgow was whistled for pass interference and Hart gained a first down at the seven.

Glasgow held the Raiders until fourth down when quarterback John Thomas Hodges hit Chaz Thompson on an 8-yard touchdown pass. Thompson added the PAT and cut Glasgow’s lead to 20-7 with 1:14 left in the third. Hodges completed 17 of 37 passes for 237 yards. Thompson caught eight passes for 110.

“It looked like we had everything under control in the third quarter. Then we made some bad mistakes, shot ourselves in the foot and they made some plays, too,” Lindsey said. “I felt like earlier we should’ve been ahead two or three touchdowns, like in the first half.”

Glasgow responded immediately to Hart’s score with a 12-play, 90-yard drive that ended with 2-yard quarterback sneak by Graves — his second of the game. Kuzma added his fourth PAT and with 8:16 to play, Glasgow led, 27-7.

The Raiders scored on their ensuing drive on a 25-yard middle screen pass from Hodges to Cody Pritchard. The scoring play came with Hart facing fourth-and-10. Thompson’s PAT attempt was blocked by Miller and, with 5:29 to go, Glasgow led, 27-13.

The Scotties lost the ball on their next drive when Graves fumbled it and Travis Roten recovered at Glasgow’s 46.

Hodges threw three consecutive incomplete passes, before hitting Paul streaking over the middle of the field. The receiver hauled in the pass and took it to the end zone, but a holding penalty negated the score.

“The hold foul, I’ll have to look at that on film. To me, it should be 27-27 and we’re going into overtime,” Nichols said. “I’m really proud of my boys. They left it on the field.”

Hart lost the ball on downs on the drive and Glasgow took over at the Raiders’ 38.

Corey Witcher rushed for 21 yards on first down and at the end of the run, Hart was flagged for another hit out of bounds that added 15 more yards to the play.

Glasgow had first-and-goal at the Raiders’ eight and two plays later Miller scored on a 6-yard run when he dove for the corner. Kuzma added the PAT and Glasgow led, 34-13, with 3:39 to play.

Two minutes later, the Raiders scored for the final time when Hodges threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Thompson. They connected again on the two-point conversion for the final points of the game. A pass interference call against Glasgow had kept the drive alive.

The Scotties scored once in the first half on a 1-yard quarterback sneak by Graves and their first score of the second half was on a 7-yard run by Miller. It capped the opening drive of the half with 9:16 showing in the third quarter.

Lindsey said the upside of the game was that his team did not play well and still won.

“We can still get better. Our schedules only going to get tougher, but we can get tougher,” he added.

Graves completed 8 of 16 passes for 91 yards. Shannon caught four passes for 47 yards and B.J. Buford had three catches for 22 yards.

After Miller, Shannon rushed six times for 50 yards, while Witcher ran the ball 10 times for 49 yards and Graves rushed seven times for 45 yards.

The Scotties gained 283 yards rushing and 374 total.

Hart County had only 13 rushing yards on 15 attempts. Pritchard led them with 21 yards on five carries.

Paul caught two passes for 56 yards.

Glasgow improved to 4-1 overall and 1-0 in the district with the win, while Hart County dropped to 2-4 and 0-2.

Glasgow hosts Edmonson County at 7 p.m. on Friday in another Class AA, Region 1, District 2 contest, while Hart County has an open date on Friday.


Recommended for you