EDMONTON — It was at the beginning of Monday night's special-called Edmonton City Council meeting that City Administrator Dawn Devore gave an update about the closing of a local manufacturing facility.

TOPPS Safety Apparel Inc., which is along East Hamilton Street across from Edmonton City Hall, has been sold and will be closing its Edmonton facility.

The factory manufactures public safety and flame resistant industrial apparel, according to its website..

Devore told city council members that she had spoken with Chris Harper, plant manager, about the closing of the factory and offered the city's assistance to try to keep some of the jobs local.

“Mr. Harper stated that the factory owner had indicated that he had sold 80 percent of the factory to someone in the Dominican Republic,” she said. “Twenty percent (of the business), they thought they had sold to someone here, which would keep some jobs here, but that has fallen through.”

Devore continued that Harper said he speaks with the owner of the factory, typically, on a weekly basis and would get back in touch with her if anything changed.

“We want to help if we can,” she said.

Mayor Doug Smith said he hated to see the factory close.

“Sure do hate to lose them. They've been here a long time,” he said.

Council members discussed how long the factory had been open in Edmonton and it was thought that it opened in the early-to-mid-1950s.

“That's really sad,” said Councilwoman Teresa Hamlett.

The city council also heard an update on Dunham Lake Dam along Greensburg Road.

The dam was damaged in the May 2010 flood and patchwork was done the to repair it, but continued to leak.

The city of Edmonton has received a letter from the Kentucky Department of Environmental Protection Agency stating the dam has been reclassified from moderately hazardous to significantly hazardous.

Moe Hensley, public works superintendent, told the city council that the public works department was in the process of draining the city lake until the recent rain.

“We were in good shape until then,” Hensley said. “We got approval from the state to do our (test bore), but now we can't do it because the water is coming off the spillway.”

The recent rain resulted in no further damage to the dam.

Hensley told the city council that the public works department intends to drain the city lake again and try once more do the test bore.

“Soon we can get it down I'm going to call the engineer and they are going to send their guy out here and we are going to do our test bore,” he said.

The mayor asked Hensley if they weren't able to slow the leaking of the dam at one time, and Hensley said they had.

“It had plumb quit. We had it stopped,” Hensley said.

Recommended for you