Circuit court

Commonwealth's Attorney John Gardner, from left, speaks at the judge's bench as murder defendant Inell Crayton and his attorney, Greg Berry, stand nearby. 

GLASGOW – A date was set in Barren Circuit Court on Monday morning for hearing at which the defense attorney will make his case for why one or more statements his client, Inell D. Crayton, made to investigators about a Dec. 28 homicide in Cave City.

Crayton, now 24, of Bowling Green is one of three defendants regarding the series of events that left 22-year-old KeShawn L. Sarver dead in his apartment and immediately afterward. Crayton is charged with murder, first-degree burglary and tampering with physical evidence. His case is scheduled for trial in March.

Co-defendant Devonja Z. Sweat, 23, of Nashville faces charges of complicity to murder, first-degree burglary and tampering with physical evidence, and co-defendant Kayla Anderson, 23, of Scottsville is charged only with tampering with physical evidence.

Crayton and Sweat were both still lodged Monday at the Barren County Detention Center on $1 million cash bonds; Anderson was released Feb. 13 on a $50,000 surety bond.

The hearing for the suppression hearing was set for Dec. 11.

A drug deal gone wrong was at the root of the events that took place, according to KSP Detective Josh Amos' testimony at the January preliminary hearing for all three defendants that determined the case would move forward to a grand jury to decide formal charges.

Crayton confessed to shooting Sarver, Amos told the court in January, but also implicated Sweat, who allegedly dropped a magazine from a 9 mm handgun at Sarver's residence.

Amos, citing Crayton's statements to him, said they had contacted Sarver about a drug purchase earlier in the day, and that evening they had picked him up at the apartment complex where Sarver lived and taken him to a different location.

Sarver was provided with money by Crayton and left them in the vehicle while he went to supposedly go buy some marijuana and bring it back to them. When he did not return after some amount of time, Crayton and Sweat, both armed, went looking for him, instructing Anderson to stay behind in the area where Sarver had left them, all according to Amos' testimony, which he said was based on Crayton's statements.

After asking around the apartment complex, the duo figured out which residence was Sarver's, but no one came to the door there. They saw a dog inside the apartment at the window, at which time it moved a window shade, and they saw Sarver inside. They kicked in the door into the apartment, and one shot was fired from the doorway and two at close range “as he approached,” Amos testified that Crayton had said, adding upon questioning that signs of a forced entry were found.

Sarver's body was just outside the bathroom in the living room area, Amos said, roughly estimating it was about 10 to 15 feet from the apartment door. He also verified that a magazine for a 9 mm handgun was found at Sarver's apartment.

The duo then went back and picked up Anderson, and the gun – a 9 mm – believed to have been used to kill Sarver was later discarded from her vehicle she was driving along U.S. 31-E near the 5-mile point, Amos said, and Anderson had helped police find it and had also been cooperative with the investigation.

Recommended for you