A Glasgow firefighter was injured Monday when he fell approximately eight to 10 feet through a hole in the floor of a building while responding to an apartment fire at 506 E. Main St.

Sgt. Jeff Thompson was transported by Barren-Metcalfe EMS to T.J. Samson Community Hospital where he was treated and released for a wrist and finger injury. Thompson did not suffer any broken bones in the fall, said a spokesperson for the fire department.

Fire department personnel responded to a report of a structure fire at the residence sometime around 9 a.m. on Monday.

Upon arrival, firefighters extinguished a fire in the garage area in the middle of the structure.

Firefighters then entered the upstairs apartment building to check for flames that may have spread to the upper level when Thompson fell through an opening that held the apartment floor furnace, according to reports.

The fire is believed to have started from the floor furnace used to heat the apartment, fire officials said.

Damage to the apartment building is estimated at $20,000, authorities said. The property is owned by Yancy Mutter and rented by Mark Whitley.

Whitley was not home when the fire started, authorities said.

Fire Department personnel were called to the scene of a second fire early Tuesday morning at 109 B. Elm Hill Drive.

Units arriving just after 1 a.m. found an unoccupied mobile home on fire. Flames were contained to the rear of the residence, a press release said.

Damage to the structure is estimated at $5,000, according to fire officials. The mobile home is owned by Van Kinslow of Glasgow.

Firefighters were on the scene approximately one hour and 30 minutes.

Tags

Trending Video

Recommended for you