Billy Ray

Billy Ray 

GLASGOW – Billy Ray and the bicycle he was riding got hit by an SUV early Wednesday morning, but by Thursday morning, he was thanking folks via his Facebook page for all their comments and support.

“I'm being tended by a bunch of pros at Vanderbilt,” he said in the post, which included a photo of what was presumably the view from his hospital bed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where he was flown after initial assessment and/or treatment at T.J. Samson Community Hospital.

Tag Taylor, who chairs the board of directors for the Glasgow Electric Plant Board, for which Ray is superintendent, said that in order to observe health privacy laws, he did not want to release details about Ray's condition, but in general, he said Ray had “multiple injuries, none of which are life-threatening.”

He anticipated that it would be at least two weeks, but possibly several, before Ray returns to work, based on the information he had at the time around midday Thursday, he said.

Taylor said that, in the meantime, each department head at the Glasgow EPB is carrying on the business at hand to ensure that operations continue to run smoothly in Ray's absence, and he has every confidence in their abilities to handle their respective duties for the necessary amount of time and come together to make any other appropriate decisions, managing by committee, so to speak.

He said that Ray had trained and prepared those leaders and the rest of the team for such a possibility.

Taylor said he is also willing to help in any way he can as needed. The next regular board meeting is scheduled for July 23. At this time, he knew of no business that would prompt a special meeting sooner.

The board also has a working session planned for Monday for a two-hour training on Kentucky's open meetings and open records laws, but no action can be taken at that meeting as it stands now.

The crash occurred at approximately 6:04 a.m. Wednesday, as Ashley Case of Glasgow was driving a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder west on Cleveland Avenue and Ray was headed east, according to the Glasgow Police Department. Case was attempting to make a left turn onto the U.S. 31-E Bypass and failed to see Ray on his bicycle as he was crossing through the intersection.

Case was not injured, according to a GPD press release, which also stated that Ray was transferred from the Glasgow hospital to the Nashville facility due to head injuries. GPD Officers Cameron Murrell and Mark Cromwell are investigating the crash. No further information was available Thursday, said Lt. Terry Flatt, GPD's public information officer.

Recommended for you