- State News
- RONNIE ELLIS: Beshear sings praises of Affordable Care Act
- RONNIE ELLIS: New EPA Coal regs examined
- RONNIE ELLIS: Kentucky actually fares well under new EPA regs
- RONNIE ELLIS: Coal wars between McConnell, Grimes
- RONNIE ELLIS: State budget officials predict ‘significant shortfall’
- RONNIE ELLIS: GOP talks up Paul, McConnell at Lincoln Day Dinner
- Legislative leaders blast carbon regs
- RONNIE ELLIS: Grimes' ad attacks Obama on coal
MConnell, Grimes waging modern 'coal war'
The term “coal wars” once referred to bitter conflicts between coal companies and miners who sought to unionize to negotiate for higher pay and more humane working conditions.
But in 2014, Kentucky’s coal war is between Republican U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell, 72, and the woman who wants his job — Democratic state Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, 35.
- Kentucky bristles at new EPA regs
- More State News Headlines