Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY


November 15, 2013

Scotties lose 35-28 thriller

GLASGOW — The second round of the Class 2A playoffs in Glasgow Friday night was everything the hype predicted. It was the No. 3-ranked DeSales Colts against the No. 4-ranked Scotties. It was two 10-1 teams facing off. It even had a little revenge as Glasgow was playing the team which knocked it out of the playoffs last year.

When the time ran out, it was the Scotties losing a heart-breaker, 35-28.

“We knew it was going to be a war and it certainly was. Just look at what they’ve (DeSales) done. They’ve won at Warren Central and Hardin,” said Glasgow coach Rick Wood. “They just have a great ball club, but I can’t say enough about my team. Our seniors played their hearts out.”

The fourth quarter started with the score tied 21-21 and Glasgow marching downfield. A drive totaling 15 plays and 70 yards gave the Scotties the lead at 28-21 with 9:05 left in the game. It was Marquez Trigg who scored from 16 yards out. Three plays later, Connor Glass recovered a Colts’ fumble and it looked like the Scotties were firmly in the driver’s seat. But, it wasn’t  meant to be.

Wood said, “It unfolded just like we thought it would. We had the lead in the fourth quarter.  And that’s what we want. We just didn’t finish.”

DeSales forced Glasgow to punt after only four plays, and three plays later, the Colts were in the end zone when quarterback Nathan Roush ran it in from the 14 after one play earlier, completing a 53-yard pass play to Austin Craig. That tied the score at 28-28.

The Scotties again were stopped on a 3-and-out. The Colts were setup with great field position after a personal foul was called on Glasgow. Dylan Byrd returned a good punt to the Glasgow 45, and from this point on, it was all Roush as he threw and ran the ball well. The Colts took the game-winning lead with 2:15 left in the final quarter when Roush scooted it in from the 20 yard line on a QB keeper.

Glasgow made one more valiant effort but was stopped when the Colts’ sacked the Glasgow quarterback Ryan Hinkley three straight times before he threw a desperation pass that was picked off by Craig.

The game started with Glasgow receiving the kick and making two quick first downs, but after a holding call made it 2nd-and-long, Hinkley threw an uncharacteristic interception.

The Colts promptly marched down the field, needing just seven plays and a little over three minutes to score their first touchdown. Byrd scored it for DeSales when he took it in from the Scottie 40-yard line.

Glasgow quickly answered on the next drive as Hinkley avoided a rusher and tossed a short screen to Quentel Bradley for a 59-yard TD pass. It took Glasgow just four plays and 2:25 to complete the scoring drive.

The next scores were in the second period.  With 7:33 left in the quarter, DeSales went on a long 14-play drive to cover 71 yards and take a 14-7 lead when Roush snuck the ball in from the 1-yard line.

Again Glasgow answered in the blink of an eye when Marquez Trigg returned the kick 91 yards to the Colts’ 4-yard line. Then on the second play of the drive, Trigg powered it in from the 2-yard line. Patrick Adkins added his second extra point to tie the score at 14.

The Colts started their final drive of the first half with just 3:10 left in the quarter. It took them just over two minutes to score when Roush hit Conner Shipley on a 13-yard pass play.

The second half began with both teams trading non-scoring drives. Then after stopping the Colts one more time, Glasgow got lightening in a bottle one more time from Trigg when he took a handoff from Hinkley, on the Scotties’ 9, and took it 91 yards for a touchdown to tie the game at 21-21 with 5:07 left in the third quarter.

Glasgow finished the year with a record of 10-2. DeSales will move on to the third round  with 11-1 season tally.

Trigg led the Scotties with 219 yards on 26 carries. Hinkley threw for 126 yards. Bradley had 64 yards receiving on two catches. Tyler Pitcock led the Scotties with 13 tackles.

The Colts’ Roush finished with 125 yards on the ground and 190 in the air.


Text Only
Daily Times sports photo

Barren County vs. Glasgow Challenge Cup boys golf