Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY


August 25, 2012

Scotties rout Bullitt Central, 28-7

GLASGOW — The Glasgow High School faithful in attendance for Friday’s home game got to see the  hometown Scotties football team go to battle with the visiting Bullitt Central Cougars, picking up their second win of the season and their ninth straight victory at Hank Royse Stadium, 28-7.

Glasgow got off to a slow start offensively in the first half,  collecting only 137 total yards and turning the ball over three times on a fumble and two interceptions.

Bullitt Central controlled the first half on the stat sheet, with more first downs, yards, and nearly three more minutes of time of possession than the Scotties.

Luckily for Glasgow, its defense was holding strong and allowed only one Cougar score in the first half, its only score of the game to take a 7-7 tie into the locker room.

“That’s a good football team we played,” said Glasgow coach Rick Wood. “We turned the ball over early, we were sloppy early, we just hung in there, and the defense hung in there until the offense got going.”

Glasgow won the coin toss and elected to receive but was unable to get anything going early in the first quarter. An interception on fourth down on their first possession put the ball in the hands of the Cougars, but Glasgows defense held strong, forcing Bullitt Central to go three-and-out and punt.

Glasgow started its next drive on their own 49 yard line and on first down, the Cougar defense picked another Ryan Hinkley pass out of the air for Glasgow's second turnover, early in the first quarter.

But the Scottie defense stepped up again as junior Ben Furlong made a great strip on Bullitt Central's Trevor Carnell forcing him to fumble and putting the ball back in the Scotties’ hands.

Unfortunately for Glasgow on the ensuing possession, after a great run from Quentel Bradley around the left end for a 12-yard gain, his next carry on first down was stripped for a Scottie fumble and its third turnover of the first quarter.

Glasgow's defense held again and forced the Cougars to punt, but was unable to click offensively, again going three-and-out and punting with just under 3:00 left in the period.

Bullitt Central took over on their own 37-yard line with 1:15 remaining in the first quarter and went on a four-play, 63-yard scoring drive capped off by a 51-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Bradley Combs to Carnell. The extra point was good and Glasgow started the 2nd quarter down 7-0.

Down early Glasgow answered right back marching from its own 36 yard line scoring on a Ryan Hinkley quarterback keeper from five yards out. Quentel Bradley set the score up with a big gain on a reverse down the left sideline for 34 yards, with help from  Marquez Trigg on a ten yard running gain putting the ball on the five yard line. Patrick Adkins added the extra point and knotted the score 7-7. Both teams were scoreless for the remainder of the first half and went into the locker room tied 7-7.

Glasgow got back on the scoreboard in the 3rd quarter on a pass form Hinkley to a wide open Gary Settles. Settles broke up the field straight through the Cougar secondary and found himself all alone for the Scottie score. Glasgow scored two more times in the game and added a two point conversion to win the game 28-7. 

Text Only
Daily Times sports photo

Barren County vs. Glasgow