Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

January 25, 2013

12:25 AFTERNOON UPDATE: Wrecks lead to injuries; section of I-65 undrivable

Staff report
Glasgow Daily Times

GLASGOW — Emergency personnel spent most of Friday morning working accidents due to the hazardous roadway conditions. Three of those wrecks are known to have resulted in injuries.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Jonathan Biven said that while police have not officially shut down I-65, the section from mile 54 to mile 71 was still undrivable due to the slick conditions.

The first of two injury accidents worked by the Barren County Sheriff’s Office occurred when Elroy Shirley of Glasgow lost control of his 2000 Ford Taurus, while trying to stop at the stop sign at South Gassaway Road and Bishop Road a little after 6 a.m.

The vehicle slid through the stop sign before it collided with a guardrail on Bishop Road. Shirley and a passenger in the vehicle were wearing seat belts at the time of the collision. Shirley was transported to T.J. Samson Community Hospital by Barren-Metcalfe Emergency Medical Service for a possible hip injury, all according to a BCSO statement.

South Barren Volunteer Fire Department also responded.                                                       

The second accident reported by BCSO occurred when Elaine Purcell of Horse Cave lost control of her GMC Envoy. The vehicle crossed the center line, went off the left side of the road, over an embankment and through a fence, according to the BCSO statement.

Purcell sustained minor injuries to the head and face, and stated that she was not wearing her seat belt at the time of the collision, according to the statement.

Kentucky State Police also worked several accidents, with only one known to have resulted in injury,  Biven said around noon.

Randy T. Brewer, 44, of Bartlett, Tenn., was traveling north on Interstate 65 around 4 a.m. operating a Greyhound bus when he lost control of the bus to due to the icy roadway at mile 54, between Cave City and Horse Cave, according to a KSP statement. Jeffery S. Grim, 28, a passenger on the bus, was transported to Caverna Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries; the other 18 passengers were not injured, according to the statement.