Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

Local News

March 24, 2014

Glasgow Fire Department responds to two fires Saturday

Woman found dead

GLASGOW — The Glasgow Fire Department responded to two fires Saturday, one of which might have claimed the life of a 70-year-old woman.

The body of Florence Watson was found Saturday morning after GFD firefighters responded to a fire at Huntsman Manor Apartments on Jefferson Street. Firefighters found Watson on the living room floor below a layer of smoke and removed her from the unit, but she was already dead, according to information from the GFD and Glasgow Police Department.

An autopsy was scheduled for Sunday, according to Barren County Coroner Mike Swift. The cause of Watson’s death was not available Monday afternoon, Swift said, because the autopsy results won’t be in for at least six weeks. Alan Gregory of the state Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was accidental, but details about the cause won’t be available for at least a week.

GFD arrived at the complex at 8:47 a.m. following a report of smoke coming from the apartment, according to a GFD press release. A resident of the complex helped firefighters locate the unit, and after firefighters entered and looked around, they saw Watson on the floor.

Firefighters were on the scene for just over four hours and were assisted by the Barren-Metcalfe County Emergency Medical Service. No other injuries were reported.

Meanwhile, at about 11 p.m. Saturday, GFD responded to 503 Columbia Ave. for a report of a house fully involved, according to a GFD release.

Firefighters found the fire in a front bedroom with flames coming out both windows, but all occupants had already escaped the house, according to the release.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within 20 minutes. The bedroom area was completely destroyed by fire, with heat and smoke damage throughout the house. Total damage was estimated at $24,300,  according to the release.

The house is owned by Bill Humphrey and rented by Sophia Basile, according to the release.

No injuries were reported and firefighters were on the scene approximately two hours and 30 minutes. They were assisted at the scene by Barren-Metcalfe EMS, GPD and the American Red Cross.

GFD also responded to a house fire Friday afternoon in the 300 block of East Washington Street, but Chief Tony Atwood said none of the weekend fires are connected.

“They are all separate, there’s really no doubt about that,” Atwood said.

Read more in the print or digital Glasgow Daily Times.

Text Only
Local News
AP Video
The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Seasonal Content