Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

April 30, 2013

4:59 AFTERNOON UPDATE: House fire origin thought to be electrical in nature

Staff report
Glasgow Daily Times

GLASGOW —

An insurance inspector has determined that the origin of a fire that destroyed an eastern Barren County home Monday was an electrical issue in the den, according to Tom Riddle, a public relations officer for East Barren Volunteer Fire Department.

Riddle said the owner of the Depp Loop Road home, Gala Clay, assistant chief of the department, told him she had gotten the results of Kentucky Farm Bureau's inspection Tuesday.

Clay lived there with her daughter, but they had spent the night at Clay's mother's home, so no one was home when it started, Riddle said. No one was injured. The house had siding, two stories and a basement, he said.

“It was a total loss. Nothing was salvageable; it was all gone,” he said.

The department was called to the scene at approximately 2:45 a.m. and was there until roughly 8 a.m., Riddle said. Temple Hill and Summer Shade VFDs also responded. The structure was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived, he said.

“We requested they bring a tanker to the scene because we had to shuttle water,” Riddle said of the Summer Shade department. “There was a hydrant close, but not close enough we could pull a 5-inch hose.”