Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

Local News

May 22, 2013

Glasgow High School teacher responds to chem lab incident

Roach tenders resignation

GLASGOW — Glasgow High School chemistry teacher Scott Roach resigned from his position as of Monday following an accident during a popular experiment to demonstrate the properties of a natural gas on Friday.

Glasgow firefighters responded to a fire alarm at 2:48 p.m. on Friday. Things went awry during the demonstration when the small fire balls, created from lighting methane gas with a long-handled lighter, got too close to the ceiling and set off the classroom’s sprinkler. The classroom quickly became flooded and 13 other classrooms were reported by Principal Keith Hale to have some level of water damage. The student-recorded video posted on YouTube quickly went viral, even gaining attention on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” on Tuesday night.

 

Read more of this story in the print or digital Glasgow Daily Times. http://glasgowdailytimes.cnhi.newsmemory.com/



 

 

1
Text Only
Local News
AP Video
Facebook
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Seasonal Content
Video