Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

Local News

November 14, 2012

Carbon monoxide may be cause of death

GLASGOW — A Cave City woman has died from what may have been carbon monoxide poisoning.

Shao Chen, 44, was pronounced dead Tuesday at her home.

Cave City police and firefighters, along with the Barren-Metcalfe Emergency Medical Service, were called to the Chen home on South Dixie Highway around 8:15 a.m. to a report of an unresponsive female.

“A contractor working for them had come to the apartment yesterday morning to finish up the work he had done the day before. He knocked on the door and couldn’t get anyone to answer him,” said Cave City Police Chief Jeff Wright.

The contractor then called the Chens on the phone and Yan Chen answered and then crawled to the door. Yan Chen told the contractor that his wife was unresponsive, Wright said.

“According to the husband, both had gotten sick during the night somewhere between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Neither one of them took it upon themselves to seek medical attention,” Wright said. “They thought it was food poisoning.”

Shao Chen was pronounced dead at the scene by Tim Gibson, a deputy with the Barren County Coroner’s office.

According to Barren County Coroner Mike Swift, it is assumed that Shao Chen died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“That is the initial assumption,” Swift said.

See the full story in the print or E-edition of Thursday's Glasgow Daily Times.

1
Text Only
Local News
AP Video
Facebook
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Seasonal Content
Video