Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

Breaking News

Local News

May 21, 2013

12:45 AFTERNOON UPDATE: GPD Sgt. Barton placed on leave


While the Glasgow Police Department continues looking into an officer's “admittance to not telling the truth to investigators” during the pretrial phase of a federal case, the officer in question has been placed on leave, a GPD spokesperson said.

Sgt. Jessie Barton's administrative leave without pay took effect Monday, said Julie Anne Williams, GPD public affairs officer, but an investigation by the department's internal affairs unit had started earlier, based on “his admittance to having not told the truth.”

What happens next will depend on the findings of that investigation, which is being led by GPD Detective Jimmy Phelps, she said. “That's all we can say right now.”

“Chief [Guy] Turcotte sets high standards across the board for our officers and department as a whole,” Williams said Friday. “He expects those standards to be met, if not exceeded, daily. He also knows our community expects the same. When these expectations are not met, the proper chain of events will take place to reprimand, if so warranted, redirect and reiterate our purpose and delivery of our service to our citizens.

“[In Barton's case] an internal affairs investigation is being conducted, and what is deemed to be fitting in the case will be done based upon the outcome of the investigation.”

According to Daily Times reports from coverage of the federal trial of the Barren County sheriff and one of this deputies and a Barren-Edmonson Drug Task Force detective, Barton said while on the witness stand May 1 that he hates testifying against fellow law enforcement officers, because they are like brothers. Barton also admitted while under oath that he originally gave false testimonies to FBI agent Mike Brown, prosecutors and a federal grand jury.

Sheriff Chris Eaton was found not guilty of civil rights violations relating to the apprehension of a suspect on Feb. 24, 2010, but he was found guilty of influencing two witnesses. The other two defendants were acquitted.

Text Only
Local News