Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

Local News

February 18, 2014

GFD firefighter back at work after assault charge dismissed

GLASGOW — A Glasgow firefighter who had been suspended after being arrested on a domestic violence charge is back at work.

The charge of fourth-degree assault, domestic violence, minor injury was dismissed last month at Dustin Skipworth’s arraignment in Barren District Court.

Assistant County Attorney Doug Hardin and defense attorney Dane Bowles agreed to dismiss the charge without prejudice after Hardin spoke with the alleged victim and arresting officer, said County Attorney Jeff Sharp. A court docket document also states those actions took place.

Having the case dismissed without prejudice allows law enforcement officials to reintroduce the charge for that same incident if another problem arises within a year, which is the statute of limitations with misdemeanors, Sharp explained.

He and Hardin declined to comment further on why that particular option was chosen, with Sharp saying that because the case could still be tried within the next year, they would not want their comments to potentially affect the case.

An attempt to reach Bowles was unsuccessful.

Glasgow Fire Department Chief Tony Atwood said Skipworth returned to work for his next regular shift after the charges were dropped.

After his Jan. 5 arrest, Skipworth was placed on administrative leave with pay, Atwood said at the time, but a question regarding when the suspension took effect was deferred to Mayor Rhonda Riherd Trautman, who ultimately revealed Skipworth was already in the midst of a leave without pay when the alleged incident occurred. The new one started at the conclusion of the first suspension.

Neither Atwood nor Trautman would say what prompted the first suspension, and the Daily Times submitted an open records request for disciplinary notices and actions during Skipworth’s employment, which began Aug. 20, 2012.

According to documents obtained through the request, Skipworth’s suspension in effect at the time of his arrest was related to a handful of times spread over the prior 14 months that he was late for work.

Read more in the print or digital Glasgow Daily Times.

Text Only
Local News