Kristen Garmon has spent her formative years at the Boys and Girls Club of Glasgow-Barren County.
The 17-year-old joined the club at age 11 and is one of the club’s charter members.
“When I first started going to my boys and girls club it was a safe place I went to after school to do homework and hang out with friends,” she wrote in an essay. “As I got older, I started volunteering there after school and during the summer. I would help the kids with homework and play games with them after school.”
Garmon was recently chosen as the club’s youth of the year and will compete for the title on the state level.
She has been hoping she would get an opportunity to represent the club and try for the state title since February 2012 when she traveled to Frankfort to watch fellow club member Rayne Triplett compete for youth of the year.
“When they told me I was a candidate … I was really excited about it,” she said.
For the full story, see the print or e-edition of Tuesday's Glasgow Daily Times.
- Local News
- 12:25 AFTERNOON UPDATE: Three wanted on drug charges
- 8:21 MORNING UPDATE: 911 Activity
- Local landlords meet to brainstorm
- BACK-TO-SCHOOL ZOOM
- Battling the invaders, crew sprays in park to eradicate non-native plant species
- Methane project clears hurdle
- 100 Miles of Food
- Metcalfe County grand jury indictments handed up
- 8:15 MORNING UPDATE: 911 report
- Monroe County magistrates buy tractor, award bid for bridge work
- More Local News Headlines