By MELINDA J. OVERSTREET
Glasgow Daily Times
A fire that “severely damaged” a mobile home Thursday was caused by a gas leak in a wall furnace, fire officials determined.
“Just by looking at it, you could tell that's what happened,” Glasgow Fire Department Chief Tony Atwood said. “It was definitely gas-fed.”
The two nuts that held the hose on were loose, so it had developed a small leak in it probably, and then it likely got bumped, he said.
Although he wasn't working on that specific part of the furnace, George Yates, the only resident at home at the time, had said he had just replaced the blower motor when the fire started.
“The lucky part was the fire started right there where the gas was. If it had had a chance to leak and fill the place up (with gas) and then spark, that's probably what would have happened,” Atwood said, explaining why there was not an explosion resulting from the fire.
For the full story, see the print or e-edition of Friday's Glasgow Daily Times.