Metcalfe County Superintendent Byron Jeffries said fiscal issues are a constant stressor at the regular board of education session on Tuesday night.
“I break out in sweat every time I get an email or mail comes in because I know it’ll be another cut,” he said.
So far, Jeffries estimates that there has been more than $655,000 in unplanned cuts due to a variety of factors including: sequestration, building maintenance, and Kentucky School Boards Insurance Trust deficit payback. As a result, Jeffries is working with the school board to find ways to help recoup the lost funds.
Some of the specific outlined expenses were nearly $149,000 to KSBIT to cover the company’s $60 million deficit, middle school roofing at $5,180, high school gym floor work at nearly $25,000, a projected loss of $104,646 in federal education grant funding for the 2013 fiscal year and a projected loss of more than $188,363 in federal education funding for the 2014 fiscal year.
Adding the expense was a recent discovery of work that needs to be done to the Edmonton Elementary sewer lines. At this time, Jeffries said he’s not sure how much that will cost but said he wouldn’t be surprised if it was a five digit number expense.
“It’s been a perfect storm since Jan. 1,” Jeffries said. “Sequestration is expected to be in effect for 10 years with a 10 percent cut in federal funding each year.”
For the full story, see the print or e-edition of Wednesday's Glasgow Daily Times.
- Local News
- 8:35 MORNING UPDATE: Closings and cancellations
- 7:25 MORNING UPDATE: KY Proud Holiday Market cancelled
- 6:40 MORNING UPDATE: Barren, Caverna, Metcalfe, Hart, Allen, Warren, Bowling Green schools closed
- Taking his cue
- Cancer survivor chosen as grand marshal
- Former Glasgow Daily Times manager dies at age 91
- Senate Democrat to run for judge-exec in Rowan
- Panel moving slowly in sexual harassment House investigation
- 4:35 AFTERNOON UPDATE: Rangers close roads in national park
- 3:10 AFTERNOON UPDATE: Barren County Drug Task Force and Barren County Sheriff's Office discover multiple meth labs
- More Local News Headlines