GLASGOW — The Glasgow Fire Department responded at 7:30 p.m. Friday to 609 E. Main St. for a reported apartment on fire.
On arrival, firefighters found that the fire was out, and upon investigation it was found that the person renting the apartment was using a can of expanding foam to seal some holes where the wall meets tbe floor next to a natural gas water heater, according to a GFD press release. The foam and the vapors are flammable, so wben the vapors reached the pilot light, it ignited, setting off a flash fire that burned some of the foam and then some paper, according to the press release.
A neighbor who lived in an apartment next door used a fire extinguisher to try to put out the fire, also. The damage was minor and firefigbters were on the scene around 50 minutes, according the the statement.
Firefighters urge caution with the use of any product that produces flammable vapors to make sure that no open flames or heat sources are nearby.