Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY

January 5, 2013

Family loses home, looking for help

Glasgow Daily Times

GLASGOW — George Yates and his family lost their Columbia Avenue home Thursday night to a fire. They spent the night in a local hotel room, which is what they will call home until they can find someplace else to go.

The Barren County Chapter of the American Red Cross is footing the bill for the family to stay there for at least three nights, which isn't very long when taking into consideration how much time it will take to secure more permanent housing.

If the South Central Kentucky Rescue Fire House had a place for the Yates family to stay in Barren County, they could stay there up to two weeks while getting their affairs in order.

“It's hard to find something in three days and be able to move into it,” said Stacy Janes with the organization. “That two weeks allows a little bit more time.”

The Yates family would also have had immediate access to items that could have helped them meet their basic needs.

“Everything would be ready to go when they moved into the house,” Janes said.

Kim Bunch and her family know how beneficial having such a place to go can be.

For the full story, see the print or e-edition of Friday's Glasgow Daily Times.